Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Currently; May 2018



Hi friends!!! I'm baaaack! (For now anyway) 

And I'm currently reading...
I went on an audiobook binge in April - I "read" Little Fires Everywhere, Ready Player One, The Language of Flowers, and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. They were all good. I enjoyed them tremendously, but the last one had something that the others did not. I can't quite explain it. I'm sure if Eleanor were real and I interacted with her in person I would not like her, but I felt very connected to her as I was reading the book. I started reading Kindred a little while back - actually reading it, not listening to it. I started it back up in Hawaii. Still enjoying it, but its hard to get down time with a little child around. Now that life has calmed down a bit (just a bit), I'd like to get back to it.

Watching...
Barry, Handmaid's Tale, Last Week Tonight, West World, Jane the Virgin. 
We were also watching Mr. Robot, but sort of lost interest in the 2nd season. I binged Grace & Frankie last month. I was so sad when I realized I'd caught up. I just loved it so much.

Listening to...
After I finished all my audiobooks, I listened to some podcasts - S-Town and the second season of Serial. S-Town was beautifully twisted and nostalgic at the same time. Listening to the interviews and hearing the accents of the folks in central Alabama just took me right back there, but also I had such an awakening to how much of a bubble we were in in Tuscaloosa - how disconnected from the real world.
I haven't found another podcast that I've can so readily dive into. I'm not connecting with them the way that I used to. So, I'm open to suggestions here. Do you have any podcasts that you love? That keep you coming back every week?

Struggling with...
Stress. It's been a tough few months - without question the hardest tax season I've ever had. It took a new kind of toll. It hurt my spirit. One of my biggest priorities right now is making time - time for myself and for my family, to relax and just take care - to do things that bring me peace. I tried to maintain self care through tax season as I have always been able to in the past, but this year, it was made especially challenging.

Inspired by...
This is going to get repetitive since my answer will likely not change - my son is my inspiration for everything. His wonder. His inquisitiveness. His humor. He inspires me to be more like he is, but to also be a better mom, to get and stay healthy, and to be the best person I can be so that I can set the best example.



Workouts are...
I started P90X3 on May 1st. If you used to follow me on the Baking Yogi, you probably know that I did P90X and P90X2 in the years before I was someone's mother. To prep for Hawaii, I was doing multiple workouts a day, getting up at 530 on weekdays to do a workout before work, and then another one in the evenings. Now that we're back from Hawaii, I'm stepping it down a notch, but still taking care to get my workouts in every day - even on "rest" days, which I reserve for yoga.



Eating...
Trying my best to make healthy, balanced choices. We went to Hawaii at the end of May, so I spent more of the month avoiding processed snacks, cutting back on dairy and carbs, and just generally trying to make healthier choices. I definitely had some go-to meals. I frequently had a piece of avocado toast for breakfast. The avocados have been so good lately, and my girlfriend shared her sourdough starter with me a few months back, so I've been making weekly sourdough for a while now. It's so much better than store bought bread, which I really try to avoid as much as I can.
Lunches were a lot of big salads and leftovers from dinner. We are big in the homemade burrito bowl game, so it was easy to keep dinners and lunches nutricious, while still avoiding toppings like sour cream (a weakness of mine) and cheese.



Planning...
For the summer and... going back to school. More on that another time. In June we are getting the kiddo into some activities, and I've got a few extra days off this summer so I'm trying to determine how I want to spend them.

Teaching...
Oh, this one stings. I am not teaching at the moment. I do yoga at home with my son. I'm trying to make some changes though, so hopefully I'll be able to teach soon. I've also had a couple of chats with people who want me to post beginner yoga videos online. Would you be interested in this if I did it? Not in the too near future. There would be a lot of ducks to line up before I could get going on that.
I've also had some folks reach out about bringing back family/baby & me yoga. If you're local, let me know if you'd be into that. I'd love to make that happen as well. 

In my free time I'm...
Really into my garden at the moment. I've planted a lot of seeds straight into the ground because I got sick of transferring my sprouts and having them all die. I feel like they're all doing really well this way. My garden is small, but thriving. I've been picking beets, carrots, and broccoli lately. The blueberries ready and I've been snacking on those daily. and so much else!
I also stocked up on art supplies at a going out of business sale. I'm really looking forward to doing more art this summer.

What are you upto?

No comments:

Post a Comment